Thursday, April 30, 2009

Castroneves Acquitted

Indy Racing League driver Helio Castroneves was acquitted Friday of most charges that he worked with his sister and lawyer to evade more than $2.3 million in U.S. income taxes.

A federal jury acquitted Castroneves on six counts of tax evasion but hung on one count of conspiracy. The jury also acquitted Katiucia Castroneves, 35, who is her 33-year-old brother’s business manager, on the tax evasion counts but also hung on the conspiracy. Michigan motorsports attorney Alan Miller, 71, was acquitted on all three counts of tax evasion and one count of conspiracy. The jury deliberated six days after a six-week trial.

Castroneves, speaking in his native Portuguese, expressed profound relief.

“I just want to thank God, and my fans, and all of the people who prayed for me,” he said outside the courtroom, still fingering a rosary.

“It has been a very difficult place to be in,” he said, but added that his faith had seen him through. He said he planned to leave Friday night for Los Angeles.

“I do love this country. I enjoy being here. I love racing, it’s my whole life,” he said. “I hope to continue what I love to do, which is racing.”

He told reporters that the trial had been a “nightmare” that he was happy to wake up from. He said that instead of going to Disneyland, he wants to go to Long Beach, Calif., where the IRL will race this weekend.

“It’s been a long seven weeks and the only thing I’m thinking through this time is racing. My team’s been calling me, telling me it’s ready,” he said. “Guys, I’m coming. I’m coming back to racing!”

Castroneves, a two-time Indianapolis 500 winner and one of the Indy racing circuit’s most popular drivers, was temporarily replaced on Team Penske by Australian Will Power pending the outcome of the case, but is expected to be ready to race this coming Sunday in Long Beach, California in IRL’s second race of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment